It is frustrating when your computer freezes while you are in the middle of a task, or anytime you just need it to work normally. If your computer or laptop freezes on a regular basis, chances are it has acquired a virus or a series of viruses. This is a common problem for PC users, but there are ways to fix it.
- Press "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" when your computer is frozen. This will launch a Windows Security window
- Hit "Shut Down..." and select "Restart" if you are using Windows XP. If you use Vista or Windows 7, click on the "up" arrow beside a red button located at the bottom-right corner of your screen. Select "Restart." Wait until Windows finishes the rebooting process.
- Launch your web browser and install an antivirus program. AVG, Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky are all reputable makers of antivirus software and downloads (see Resources).
- Restart your system after you have finished installing the antivirus program.
- Launch the program and run a complete virus scan. Wait until your antivirus program completes the task and detects the virus infection. Follow its prompts to remove the virus.
- Run virus scans at least twice a week. This will prevent your computer from getting another virus that causes problems such as the screen freezing.