During the past two years, crimeware attacks have increased at a far greater rate than the normal virus. International gangs of virus writers, hackers and spammers are joining forces to steal information and collect huge profits illegally.
Given the newness of this threat type, and the potential of how it might evolve in the future, further clarification and dissection of the definition of crimeware will likely be required.
- Install Internet security software.
- Install operating system patches and application patches. Turn on Automatic Updates. And update Microsoft® Office regulary.
- NEVER open an attachment sent in an unsolicited (spam) email. The same is true for email messages or IM (Instant Messaging) messages that contain links.
- Update your security software regularly, at least once in a day. Keep your other applications updated.
- For everyday use, create a separate user account with only limited access rights. By doing this, you limit a malicious program’s access to valuable system data.
- Backup your data regularly to a CD, DVD, or external USB drive.