If you follow five simple ways, you can protect your Android phone from 99% of virus infections.
1. Think of your mobile device not as a phone but as a computer, for that is what it is. Be just as wary about phishing attempts made via mobile email or text as you would on your computer. Avoid unknown sites when using your mobile browser, and don’t click on links before authenticating the sender.
2. Download apps only from trusted sources and pay special attention to the names of these apps.
3. Do not root or jailbreak your mobile device to get around limitations set by your carrier or device manufacturer. Doing so will also remove any protections built into the device in order to defend against a number of mobile threats.
4. Be careful when using Wi-Fi. Don’t view or transmit sensitive info in public hot spots. Disable Wi-Fi auto-connect to prevent connecting to a malicious host, and when you are ready to connect, look around for public displays that will tell you which legitimate host to connect to.
5. Install security software. Per the first point, you installed security software on your computer, right? So why not do the same for your mobile phone? A number of free solutions are available online.